Global Astronomy Month 2016 (#GAM2016) begins April 1, 2016, organized by Astronomers Without Borders, who motto is One People One Sky. The entire month of April will feature programs in astronomy for enthusiasts worldwide. Astronomers Without Border said in a statement:
Whether it’s stargazing, sharing with the public, or the cosmos in art, there is something for everyone in GAM 2016 …
Dozens of programs fill the month of April, with highlighted events worldwide including…
* OPTICKS: a Cosmic Mail Art, transmits images to the Moon and back as radio signals in real time.
* Faces of Astronomy: Astronomers Without Borders is nothing without its community. With the launch of Faces of Astronomy on April 18 we’re sharing the stories of people worldwide, highlighting differences and similarities of everyone in the AWB global astronomy community. Stories of astronomy as hobby and science, inspiration and hope, culture and tradition will be shared with the world, and the AWB Facebook page will highlight one new photo and story every day.
* Thousands will view the heavens through telescopes provided by amateur astronomers and science centers during the Global Star Party, SunDay, and other observing events.
* Online observing with popular astronomer Gianluca Masi will feature live interaction with a worldwide audience in the hugely popular Online Messier Marathon. The Virtual Telescope Project will offer a tour of the brightest star clusters, nebulae and galaxies in the sky in one night.
* AWB’s wide-ranging AstroArts program connects art and culture with astronomy in exciting ways with blog posts and special live webcasts, including the annual Cosmic Concert with original music composed and performed by Giovanni Renzo.
* Partner programs bring new audiences and participants: Measuring light pollution worldwide in Globe at Night, classrooms discovering asteroids in the International Asteroid Search Campaign, and more.
Learn more about GAM 2016 programs on the website at https://www.gam-awb.org
This website is the hub of all activities, with galleries, articles, and fresh content continuously posted. GAM participants will be adding their reports and photos about their local GAM events and program from all parts of the world.
Here is the schedule of Global Astronomy Month happenings to date:
March 1 – April 30: AstroPoetry Contest for GAM2016
March 30 – April 22: International Earth and Sky Photo Contest 2016
March 30 – April 8: Globe at Night
March 31 – May 5: IASC Asteroid Search Campaign
April 1-30: Children’s AstroArt Contest
April 1-30: The Undiscovered Universe (Observing Challenge)
April 1-30: Lunar Explorations (Observing Challenge)
April 1-30: Shoot for the Moon (Observing Challenge)
April 4: Online Messier Marathon (Online Observing Event)
April 4-10: International Dark Sky Week 2016
April 9: OPTICKS
April 10-11: The Moon plows through the Hyades (Observing Challenge)
April 10-24: Mars the Wanderer (Observing Challenge)
April 16: Global Star Party for GAM 2016
April 18-24: Diverse Universe Week
April 18: Faces of Astronomy
April 19: Astrophotography: The quest for the perfect picture (Live Hangout)
April 24: SunDay
April 28: Cosmic Concert for GAM 2016
April 29 – May 8: Globe at Night
May 9: Transit of Mercury
You might find a star party or other event near you at EarthSky’s list of events: Astronomy events, star parties, festivals, workshops
To add an event to EarthSky’s list, please contact us here.
Bottom line: April, 2016, is Global Astronomy Month 2016 (#GAM2016), organized by Astronomers Without Borders, who motto is One People One Sky.
Deborah Byrd created the EarthSky radio series in 1991 and founded EarthSky.org in 1994. Today, she serves as Editor-in-Chief of this website. She has won a galaxy of awards from the broadcasting and science communities, including having an asteroid named 3505 Byrd in her honor. A science communicator and educator since 1976, Byrd believes in science as a force for good in the world and a vital tool for the 21st century. "Being an EarthSky editor is like hosting a big global party for cool nature-lovers," she says.