Enjoying EarthSky? Subscribe.

116,470 subscribers and counting ...

By in
| Earth | Human World on Aug 22, 2014

Top 5 tips for wild mushrooms hunters

So you want to hunt and eat wild mushrooms? Consider these 5 tips. And remember … there’s no such thing as an old, bold mushroom hunter.

There’s a saying that there’s no such thing as an old, bold mushroom hunter. That’s because there are no outward characteristics that all poisonous mushrooms have in common. So picking and eating wild mushrooms requires the utmost caution. Of the thousands of mushrooms found in North America, only about 5 percent are edible. Only about 5 percent are poisonous, too. And the rest just aren’t fit to be eaten. Here are some tips if you want to pick and eat wild mushrooms:

1. The number one rule for enjoying the fruits of a mushroom hunt is to eat only those mushrooms which you can absolutely, positively identify as edible. Just remember: even experienced mushroom hunters can be fatally fooled, since many edible mushrooms have toxic lookalikes. For example, when a dreaded mushroom known as the Destroying Angel is in its early stage, it can look like the harmless Puffball.

2. To be absolutely safe, don’t eat wild mushrooms at all. The only mushrooms you can be sure are safe are those found at supermarkets and restaurants!

2. Be aware. Poisonous mushrooms run the gamut of shapes – from a cup to a tongue to a sponge.

3. Don’t believe the old wives’ tales. All the stories about how to tell if a mushroom is poisonous – such as whether it tarnishes silverware or turns blue when bruised – are dead wrong.

4. Be patient. Experts also caution that even once you’ve positively identified a wild mushroom as edible, you should taste only a small bit and wait 24 hours. Some people have adverse reactions.

5. Cook all wild mushrooms thoroughly.

This is the wild mushroom known as Destroying Angel.  It is one of the most toxic mushrooms known.  Young specimens like this are sometimes confused with puffballs or other edible mushrooms.  Photo by William Rafti via Wikimedia Commons

This is the wild mushroom known as Destroying Angel. It is one of the most toxic mushrooms known. Young specimens like this are sometimes confused with puffballs or other edible mushrooms. Photo by William Rafti via Wikimedia Commons

Bottom line: Eat only those mushrooms which you can absolutely, positively identify as edible.

Click here for a comprehensive article about mushroom poisoning.